After just posting details of my setup, I have made a reasonably significant (and it goes almost without saying, unplanned) change: after uzbl began unaccountably maxxing out my CPU, I decided to give Vimprobable a go.
I covered it briefly in my review of 5 alternate browsers and liked the idea of another vim-based browsing experience.
There are two versions of Vimprobable; the differences, as described on the website:
Both versions are actively maintained. The first version can only be customised by editing config.h before compiling. It is pretty stable and very usable. Version 2 has grown fairly stable already as well, but it’s still seeing bigger changes, of course. It aims at allowing more customisation, for example through :set and :map commands.
I downloaded the tarball for Vimprobable2 from the AUR, extracted the files and built the package.
Customization occurs in 3 files1: the first two, config.h and keymap.h both require you to recompile after editing, which is a trivial task given the size of the programme.
Vimprobable2 also features a third configuration option that doesn’t require compiling after changes, vimprobablerc. Should you wish to use it, you will need to create this file in ~/.config/vimprobable/. Helpfully, there is a man page for all of the options in this file, to read it issue:
Despite it’s spartan appearance, Vimprobable is a full-featured browser — with the advantage of being driven solely from the keyboard. It handles bookmarks (and the tagging thereof, which is impressive and handy), multiple search engines, cookies, history, etc…
I have made a number of changes to the defaults, including moving some of the keybindings to be closer to uzbl’s (habit, really). The other area where I made some minor changes was to the hinting style. Hinting is just the way Vimprobable (and other browsers like uzbl and Conkeror) follow links; the default is, to put it mildly, garish2, so I hacked around in hinting.js to make it more attractive.
If you are interested, my vimprobable files are in bitbucket, including the modified hinting.js.
Of course, you are not limited to these files; the beauty of free and open-source software is that you can change any of it…
To support this claim, I searched google for an image of the default Vimprobable hinting style, and I could only find this screenshot of conkeror, which will give you an idea…